If you enjoy sailing, kayaking, snorkelling, swimming or scuba diving, then you need to consider purchasing a sea kayak or two. You also need to make sure that you have all the sea kayak equipment you will need to navigate the water and to stay safe while doing it.
Sea Kayak Gear Checklist
The following checklist is extensive. No two people will bring everything. When you go out on a kayaking trip, you’re responsible for assessing your skills, current conditions, the weather and any other factors you may come across along the way, and what types of things you should carry with you to survive in case you suffer an accident or incur an injury when you’re on the water. Here are some basic pieces of sea kayak gear you’ll want to take with you. They are:
- Sea Kayak Double Oars – This is essential for getting around in the water. These are designed for holding your paddle in place so you can paddle without losing balance. It’s also perfect to take along on a solo adventure.
- Sea Kayak Double Paddles – A great option for single-person kayak journeys. It holds one paddle and can be used both as a paddle and as a handlebar. It’s perfect for carrying around your kayak, but it’s also great for carrying other things such as the rest of the sea kayak gear checklist. If you’re going to go on more than one kayaking trip, it’s usually best to take at least two of these. It’s ideal for trips lasting more than just a few days.
- Sea Kayak Gear Double Jibs – These are useful for taking turns at the helm and for fishing. They can be used to steer the boat and they can also be used as fishing poles for snagging smaller fish. Make sure you have enough of them with you when you go out to fish.
- Sea Kayak Tent – You’ll want to have a tent to comfortably house all your gear when you go out on a solo trip. It’s a good idea to include all the supplies you’ll need in your tent. like an extra sleeping bag, a cooler, a cooking pot, a stove, a picnic table and more. A waterproof tent is important if the sea is cold since rain and snow could get in.
- Sea Kayak Tent Accessories – The sunshade and rainfly are the most important for getting your feet wet in the sunlight while you’re on land. Choose a tent that doesn’t allow moisture to get inside and has a waterproof backing to keep out the cold.
Buying Accessories and Kayaks
If you want to complete your sea kayak gear checklist, you can find everything you need online. You can also shop at your local boating store to see exactly what each item includes and which brands have what accessories included.
There are many different options available when buying any sort of kayak. However, kayaking gear can be a bit more difficult to find than some other pieces of kayak equipment. Online you can browse through a wide selection of kayaks and choose the one that’s right for you.
There are many kayaks online that are made to hold multiple people and are easy to pack up and take with you. If you’re going out on a longer trip than just an afternoon, or a couple of hours, you might want to consider buying a bigger kayak. This will help you enjoy all of the benefits of being on land without the hassle of lugging around a canoe or inflatable kayak.
Kayaks range in size from small single-person boats to big multi-person crafts, with features such as staterooms and beds to accommodate more people. Some even have a lot of storage space.
If you want to get all the kayak gear you need to be able to paddle out on the water, consider purchasing a complete kit online. That way, you’ll have everything you need to get started and get your sea kayak on the water, no matter where you’re headed.